When it is cold outside, we crave hot, hearty, filling meals and it can be hard to stick to your healthy eating plan. Pasta and risotto are two hearty meals which you are likely to crave throughout winter, so check out our easy alternatives which will turn your favourite hearty foods into your favourite healthy foods.
Risotto can be made healthier by swapping your normal rice for cauliflower rice. You can find cauliflower rice in the prepared vegetable sections in your local supermarket and we’re not lying – it tastes pretty good! Here is our favourite risotto recipe, however you can use any risotto recipe which you love.
1. Add 2 cloves of garlic (crushed) and 1 onions (diced) with some oil in a pan and fry until soft
2. Add cauliflower rice and stir for 1 minute
3. Add 1 litre of chicken stock (made with one stock cube) and bring to the boil. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes until the cauliflower rice seems fluffy and soft.
4. Add slices of cooked chicken and two handfuls of frozen peas – allow to heat up for 2 minutes.
5. Add a knob of butter and sprinkle some parmesan cheese, stir and enjoy.
High protein pasta is a great alternative to make your pasta bakes and favourite Italian dishes that bit healthier, and muscle friendly – and again, it can be bought from the pasta aisle in your local supermarket.
Here is our favourite pasta bake recipe packed with your 5-a-day.
1. Boil pasta
2. In a separate pan, fry mushrooms, onion, chicken and leek until cooked through and soft
3. Pour in one can of tomato puree and one can of kidney beans (drained), allow to heat through
4. Add the boiled pasta to the vegetable sauce and sprinkle breadcrumbs (and a bit of cheese if desired)
5. Bake in the oven for up to 30 minutes